Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Friday, September 25, 2009

Fiber at the American Museum of Natural History

I've just finished reading a fascinating newspaper article about a new fiber. Bamboo? Milk fiber? Sugarcane? These are all fairly new fibers out on the market, and I'm eager to get my hands on some of that sugarcane. I've tried a cotton and milk fiber blend, but I've seen some 100% milk fiber on Ravelry that looks super scrumptious. But this fiber is spun from the silk of...no, not butterflies,...spiders! Specifically, golden orb spiders from Madagascar. The article had a picture of some of the spiders, not thrilling. But also a picture of the lovely fabric that was woven from the spun silk. The rectangle of fabric is a lovely golden-yellow, natural not dyed; and shows an intricately woven design. The article goes into detail about the spiders, their silk and the spinning process. By weight the thread is 5 to 6 times stronger than steel!! No broken threads, no knots discovered in the middle of crocheting your doily. Well, I can dream, can't I?

I've included a link to the article, but I fear that you may need to register with the website in order to read the article and see the pictures. And even then, the article will probably will available for a very limited time.

The cloth, though, is on display at the American Museum of Natural History. Anyone feel that a field trip is in order?

edited to add: Thank you National Geographic! Here is another article and several more photos of the beautiful fiber:
"National Geographic article"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home