Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Monday, May 25, 2009

Greetings from Abingdon, Virginia written May 22

Greetings from Abingdon. I spent yesterday (Thursday) morning and afternoon driving, then met daughter #2 and my Mom & Dad at the Barter Theatre in Abingdon. We had dinner at the Ellis Soda Shoppe and Grille. The Ellis Soda Shoppe is a building on the National Register of Historic Places, and was originally a pharmacy - the building has lots of character - and the Grille had great food.
Daughter (M) went to work and my parents and I went to Barter's Main Stage to see Jimmie Rodgers America's Blue Yodeler. I'm not a big yodel fan, but was familiar with Jimmie Rodgers & his music. The actor did a great job and had a great voice, I also liked the actor who played the blues harmonica - I will admit a love for blues harmonica!
This morning (Friday) we met at the Theatre and went to IHOP for breakfast! Next, a tour of the Abingdon Winery, where we each chose a variety to sample. I liked them all, M bought a bottle of a sweet blush; I bought a bottle of that and a very sweet red that goes well with dark chocolate. Now I just need someone who'll enjoy a glass of wine with me. Then we set off on a walking tour of historic Abingdon. We started at the Cave House, another historic building. The name comes from a limestone cave that runs under the house. The building is currently a shop for local artisans. Wow! Quilts and quilted wall hangings, weaving, tatting, crochet, wood carvings, stained glass, pottery, handcrafted folk music instruments, and so much more. We all enjoyed the items that filled this house. I bought an embroidered book marker for my Dad & M bought a used book. From there we walked to Zazzy'Z Cafe and Coffeehouse, where the rest of the group relaxed in the Coffeehouse and browsed books. I spent time in A Likely Yarn, where I browsed knitting and crochet books and some yummy fibers. I bought an old magazine, Vogue Knitting International Crochet from 1994, as well as some lovely, bright pink yarn, a cotton and acrylic blend, plus a skein of Jarbo Garn Tropik, a bamboo acrylic blend in a soft green. I talked knitting, crochet and books with the owner, Janet Woolwine (really!). She recommended French Girl Knits, and suggested that crocheters needed a book of that kind - with hip, not old-fashioned garments. I recommended books by Doris Chan and Lily Chin. The store is moving to a new building further into town, on Monday and the owner said that she'd order some of the books that I'd recommended, as she's have more room. She handed me a business card that includes a place to record your own knitting needles and crochet hooks. She said she was getting new ones made with the new address, so I asked if I could have a few more for members of the Guild Chapter - she handed me all that cards left on her counter. So look for a small treat at the meeting on Thursday.
I'm highly recommending that you visit A Likely Yarn at "A Likely Yarn" and visit the store at their new location on Pecan Street if you get to Abingdon.
Then we had lunch at Alison's where the baked potato soup was highly recommended. I was the only one who didn't order the soup, as I was just too hot to think about hot soup. But had a few spoonfuls of M's, and it was fantastic, even after it cooled off.
We took a break from the heat and chatted in M's housing, and then took a walk around the Shakespeare Herb Garden. M went to work for the evening and we did some errands, got gas in the car, and stopped at Dairy Queen for Blizzards. We're now winding down for the evening, I've got a new crochet magazine along with the latest issues of Crochet! and Yarn Market News that I had brought along.
We're starting early tomorrow morning at the Farmers' Market. We've been promised some yummy southern biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and strawberries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home