Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hats & Scarves

This week I finished a new hat that will be donated to the Shawl Ministry for go to Hershey Med. Center. It's called Divine hat, and done in Caron Simply Soft Lt. Country Blue. It's super soft, and I like the pattern. I may do a few more of these.
Then tonight I finished my latest Tunisian project. I started with "Baby Jacquards Ruffle hat". This pattern is a knit hat from Bernat, look at how pretty the yarn makes stripes, flowers, and "fair isle patterning". Now look at what happens to the yarn when you crochet a very similar hat: "Ruffle Hat in Crochet". It acts more like a variegated yarn, it's pretty, but not the same. In August, I swatched the Jr. Jacquards yarn from Bernat, in knit, crochet and Tunisian. You can read a little here "blog entry on Jr. Jacquards".
Anyway, I started with the pattern for the knit ruffled hat, and used Jr. Jacquards in Big Deal Teal, and an F Tunisian hook. Now I only had a short hook, about 8 inches; the pattern started with cast on 9, then increase 8 on every other row, so I thought I was pretty good with the little hook. The hat worked fine, but when I got to the brim, I had to increase exponentially, and had 176 stitches on the little hook! The yarn worked up so pretty, with stripes of teal, and lime green, then white areas with pink "flowers". I don't know how soon I'll get pictures up. When I've got a flat object, I can scan it and upload it quick & easy. But if the item is bigger, I need to take a photo with the digital camera, and my scanner/printer is still having software issues. I'm super happy with the results of this pattern conversion, and will probably make other hats with this pattern, possibly switching to the Baby Jacquards yarn. This hat will probably go to a friend as a baby gift to her niece, other baby hats will be going to "Knit One, Save One".

Our group is still busy crocheting scarves in the Red Heart Delft Blue and White, for the Special Olympics. Read all about the project here: "Special Olympics Scarf Project".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home