Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mailman delivering Goodies!

The mailman has been very good to me lately, bring new crochet pattern books and a new hook! Perhaps I shouldn't give the mailman all the credit. I've been the one spending so much time on eBay searching for these goodies.

I bought Star book #65 Flower Edgings. This was published by American Thread Company in 1949. Along with edgings and straight insertions, there's a pattern for a Flower Girl, I've been looking at this pattern in various places for months now, contemplating purchasing. There's also a pretty butterfly.

I did have a little difficulty with the format of the pattern, it's basically in paragraph form, and is a little ambiguous. I formed the first flower easily enough, chain, form a ring and work petals into the ring. Then for the next flower, chain, slip stitch into a chain to form a ring, and work into the ring. I thought at first they meant the first ring, but finally figured that it had to be the new ring. Then slip stitch into opposite petal,...ok, opposite of what? I think I finally have it. Here's a small piece I made from the Primrose pattern.

Next, I bought 2 J & P Coats booklets, #329 Pineapple Crochet Designs, published in Scotland, no publishing date; and #456 Pineapple Crochet Designs, second series, published in Scotland in 1971. I'll have to remember that these, like the Lace-Makine book will have European terminology. I've got my eye on a couple of doilies, plus a few motifs that might become something other than a tablecloth or bedspread.
My latest 2 booklets are Crochet Originals #17 by Delena Gilmer. I've never head of this designer before, but fell in love with a doily named Frosty. I saw it on one of the various Yahoo crochet groups that I belong to. There are also several pineapple designs, and some fantastic filet patterns. After the Frost, I think my favorite is the runner with morning glories and butterflies. The second book is #15 Edges by Elizabeth Hiddleson, a big name in doilies and threadwork. I'm currently working on a beautiful pineapple border in bright pink. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, maybe edge a guest towel and give it as a gift. This pattern could use a good English translation, it has an asterisk, like you're starting a repeat pattern, but doesn't have a second asterisk. My favorite, though, is instructions like this: "Row 11 - As 9 to*" so I go to Row 9 and it says "As 7 to *" Now I'm trying to follow all this and look at my hook and thread, too. Row 15 finishes with "continue by picture." I'm not a visual! Please write it in words! I am improving on using pictures and charts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home