Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Monday, July 13, 2009

One project that's on the hook

As mentioned in my last post, I'm working on a Learn Symbol Crochet Mystery CAL with the Learn Crochet group in Ravelry. It's being lead by Lavonne, Angela Best. She's the designer of the Short and Sweet top that's in Stitch'NBitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker. I loved that design, seamless construction, interesting stitch pattern, but pretty simple to work. And I love the way that it fits.
I'm becoming a little less stressed by working from symbols....but it's still much harder for me that working from the written pattern. It least now I'll be less intimidated by the gorgeous items in the old Magic Crochet magazines. I bought a huge stack of these for the lovely thread items, then I've only drooled over the pictures since. I don't think that I've made a single item. The patterns sometimes start with one or two rounds of written instructions, and then move to symbols. And for large items, they put only 1/4 or 1/8 of the pattern onto the page; like the antique/vintage patterns, they expect that you can "finish in established pattern". I think that I can do that now. But those doilies, and table runners will have to wait. At this time of year, I'm busy with clothing to wear and show off at the conference.
While I'm working on this project, I'm still thinking about the next project and the one after that. Should I make another garment, or work up that design idea for a tote bag that was in my mind last year, or should I start decide what to make for the gift exchange? Decisions, decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home