Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Collecting crochet

This past weekend I took a trip to Western PA and spent time with family. I stayed at the home of an aunt and uncle, they live just across the road from another aunt & uncle, with whom my parents and older brother stayed. We have lots of cousins, and assorted other relatives in the area, and had plenty of time to visit.
I took a recently completed doily as a gift to my aunt, as I know how much she loves crochet lace. I enjoyed seeing the beautiful laces she has throughout the house, frequently coming across an old pice lovingly displayed on a lamp table or dresser. It was great fun to recognize design styles and have some idea of the time periods when the particular item was crocheted. A doily in the guest bedroom was in antique white thread with a border in purples, probably made in the 1940's or 50's. The pineapple tablecloth made from large squares in a golden thread is probably not older than the 1980's, while the blue doily in the master bedroom is definitely made in the 2000's...I made it only a few years ago.
If you're interested in old crochet lace, read this article from the current issue of Crochet Insider.
"Antique Crochet Beauties"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home