Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Gallery of Tunisian Stitches

From 101 Easy Tunisian Stitches, published by Annie's Attic 2004
Please note that these are not pictures from the book, they are scans of stitch swatches that I have made.

#24 a pretty shells and columns variation




#39 I love that this design has horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines to it

#40 I think that these stitches need names as well as numbers (a minor complaint that I have with this book) What should we call this stitch pattern? Peek-a-Boo




#40 variation I decided that this might work with alternating the open spaces


#41 a pattern using Tunisian Doubles (Book calls this double loop, here is my major complaint with this book. I'll write a full entry on this.) But this is a beautiful stitch pattern, I have some ideas for using this.


From Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet by Angela "ARNie" Grabowski, published by Abilene Publishing in 2004. This is an excellent book on Tunisian crochet, I refer to it frequently for stitch information. I love that it includes historical information, controversy, and a bibliography, as well as how tos, tips, and photos.
I enjoy looking at the pictures and re-reading so much of the book. I'm eagerly awaiting the publication of book #2!

Tunisian Full stitch, some older books may call this a Plain stitch. It is made by inserting your hook between stitches instead of into the stitch. Very dense, with some color changes I'm thinking a baby afghan.



Tunisian Simple Stitch, also known as, Basic Afghan Stitch and for those of us who crocheted in the '60's and early '70's we called it simply Afghan stitch. Some people still think that this is the only stitch you can do with the afghan or Tunisian hooks. And way too many people complain that the stitch is "heavy" and "stiff". They should try the new larger Easy Tunisian hooks, or the Moez hooks, and try some of the hundreds of different stitches and stitch patterns that are in these books.

Note: I did not make this swatch. This lovely piece was made by one of my math students as a gift for me. She didn't even know that it was Tunisian, and that I have a great love for this form of crochet! Take note of the even stitches and the perfectly horizontal and vertical lines, this was worked with fantastic tension.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home