Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Thursday, November 09, 2006

What crochet books are you reading?

It's been a week since I posted, what have I been doing? I feel like the answer must be "running in circles".
I know that I meant to write last week when the mailman was so kind and brought all the books that I had ordered at Amazon. Two were new books that came from Amazon, the others came from various used book stores and libraries. So I guess today will be book reviews.
Hooked: A Crocheter's Stash of Wit and Wisdom, edited by Kari Cornell, Published by Voyageur Press, 2006. This is a collection of stories about learning to crochet, people who inspired the authors to learn to crochet, and why they crochet. I haven't had time to really lose myself in the reading yet, but I'm eager to, I recognize several of the author names. At the beginning of each story there is a short bio of the author. What I really love is the black and white pictures of crochet stitches, swatches, and hooks scattered through the book.
Geometrics: A new way to crochet, over 25 projects by Ruthie Marks. If that title isn't long enough, the title page includes "an introduction to dragon curves, golden ratio, and Fibonacci sequence". Now you know why I had to get this book, it's crochet and mathematics! There is a variety of projects including a scarf, poncho, placemats, afghans, pillows, and rugs. Includes a brief "how to" section, and useful information such as hook size charts, actual-sized pictures of hooks, yarn sizing charts (loads of information) and information on exactly what yarns were used for each of the projects in the book.
I bought several small booklets "Favorite Doilies of Rita Weiss", I've already got my eyes on a pinwheel, Lily of the Valley, Snowflake and Spring Flower. "Weekend Baby Afghans to Knit and Crochet" by Jean Leinhauser & Rita Weiss. Did I really need more afghan patterns? No more than I needed more doily patterns, I guesss. "Crocheting Afghans", edited by Rita Weiss, Dover Publications 1979. Many of the patterns in this book are traditional granny squares and ripples, but there are also patterns using Tunisian "Afghan Stitch" and one that looks like it combines Tunisian and Bullion or roll stitch.
Better Homes and Gardens Afghan-Stitch Crochet, 1989. This book starts with a how to section which includes some historical notes, hook chart and several stitch patterns. Projects include small tote bags, sachets, placemats, table runners, pillows and afghans, sweaters, scarves, hats and mittens. Wish I knew someone having a baby, there is the cutest sweater, and a beautiful spring coat for a little girl. What a gorgous Easter outfit this would make.
What crochet books are you reading?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home