Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Better Homes and Gardens Learn to Crochet

I bought the Better Homes and Gardens Learn to Crochet, it's labeled The ultimate beginner's guide, dated Fall 2006. Not like I need a beginner's or how to crochet booklet, but I figured it could be helpful when teaching beginners, and it was only $3.99. The first 34 pages are packed with useful information - yarn weight charts with category & type, gauge, and recommended hook sizes both in millimeter and in US sizes; hook charts - in metric & US; abbreviations; how to - foundation row, basic stitches, crocheting in rows and rounds; changing colors; increasing and decreasing; finishing; granny squares; joining; and reading schematics. Then there are about 60 pages of easy projects - granny square bag, skirt and scarf; striped hat & scarf; ponchos, shrugs, wraps; a raglan hoodie (this might be on my hook, soon); a car coat; children's sweaters; baby blanket; several afghans and pillows. The sweaters, car coat, etc contain nice schematics with measurements. Most of the patterns use Lily or Lion Brand yarns that are easy to locate, and moderately priced.

I think this contains as much as several of the books I bought not long ago for $25.00!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home