Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Ornament Exchange

Last night our "crochet in Public" group had their 2nd Annual Christmas Ornament Exchange. This is the group of crocheters and knitters, (actually anyone who does any kind of needlework) who meet every Tuesday evening at Borders. We drink coffee (Peppermint Mocha Trio for me!), check out the new magazines and books, talk, show off some of our latest projects, and do some stitching, too!
For the Ornament exchange, each person who wanted to participate made or bought an ornament ($10 limit). Then each package had a number taped to it, duplicate numbers were dropped into a gift bag. Then each person drew a number and picked up that numbered package. We went around the tables with each person opening their gift and showing the ornament around & finding who gave the ornament.
I spent a lot of time thinking about what I might make, and changing my mind repeatedly. I finally crocheted a red mitten with a white cuff and snowflake on the front. The white was done in the glow in the dark yarn that I've been enjoying as it sits on my lamp table, waiting for just the right project. The pattern is from Coats & Clark. "Snowflake mitten"
The ornament that I opened was a miniature knitted sock. It was beautiful, and I know that it took a lot of time and talent. With my allergies, though, I did have to ask...turns out it was made with a sock yarn containing wool. Someone offered to trade with me. I got a crocheted bag that's shaped like a ball ornament, it's a great size to drop a small bag of Cebelia thread in so that I can crochet on the go. The bag had a lot of small crocheted ornaments inside - 2 stars, 3 mints, and a pinecone. I was told that the pattern was on-line, and I found it easily today. It looks very easy, and you still have time to make some pinecones for your tree. Here's the link: "crocheted pinecone ornament".

2 Comments:

At Thursday, December 10, 2009, Anonymous Gayle said...

Your group's ornament exchange sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad a pinecone ornament from my pattern found its way to you!

 
At Friday, December 11, 2009, Blogger Jane's Hooked on Crochet said...

Thanks Gayle,
I'm glad that I could locate the link and share it with other crocheters. I also plan to make a few of these myself. Jane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home