Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's not a Yarn stash - it's a Collection

Monday I received a newsletter from "Knitting Daily". It had an interesting article, the author says she doesn't have a yarn stash, she has a collection and should display it like artifacts in a museum. She doesn't purchase yarn in bulk with projects in mind, but purchases one or two balls or skeins because they appeal to her. I love the article! I frequently buy one or two balls, "because they're pretty". Frequently I find that I pull out one of these balls and swatch a new stitch pattern, or try it for a new design, and usually decided not to use it. That stitch pattern isn't perfect enough to show off this beautiful yarn to it's fullest. So I save it, making sure that it's not wasted on an inferior project.

I also recently received the March Yarn Market News, it has a review of cotton yarns. There are some yummy looking fibers, I need to get reading.
Then, last night at our Border's Crochet in Public night, I decided to check out what new magazines they had. All the crochet magazines,..I had already bought. But I found two new knit magazines with some yarn reviews. Knit'N Style is thinking spring and summer, most of the fibers are cotton, cotton blends, with some linen and bamboo, very little wool. Interweave Knits focuses on linen and linen blends. I brought home both magazines, so I've lined up a lot of fiber reading.

Tonight I got off work very early, and had a chance to stop at the new local yarn shop "Yarn-Love" for a skein of Berroco Comfort DK to add a little contrast to the final items in the baby layette (a sweet pair of booties). There were shelves of new summer fibers in cotton, bamboo, soy and blends. I couldn't resist selecting a few to swatch and review. Here's what I bought:

Louisa Harding Yarns, Jasmine 48% cotton, 39% bamboo, 10% silk, 3% polyester.
50 grams, 98 meters, 107 yards. Handwash, lay flat dry. "suggested tension 22 sts x 30 rows" on suggested needles US 6 (4mm)
I selected a light mauve with silver flecks. Soft, lovely. $6.95

Queensland Bebe Cotsoy Collection, 50% cotton, 50% soy. 50 grams, 100 meters, 110 yards. There are no laundering instructions on the ball band. 5 sts = 1"/ US 7.
I selected a steel blue. Extremely soft! $6.50
Both of these yarns were made in China, surprising, America still grows cotton.

Hopefully, I'll get some reviews written soon. Right now I think I'll go read, and swatch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home