Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Monday, November 12, 2007

Michaels Yarn Event

The Michaels ad in today's paper said "5 Hours of Demos and Fun". That's what I had. Every hour we did a demonstration of another yarn, hook, and pattern. I started making a scarf, worked lengthwise so you only need to work 6 rows. You use 3 strands of Vanna's Choice yarn and a size Q hook. This yarn was very soft, no splitting, and nice to work with. I think it's a little pricey for an acrylic, but it is nice. Now, if they would come out with some bright colors instead of the muted shades,... I was able to finish about 4 rows during the hour, so I'm going to finish this up at home, and take it back in for display.
Next we demonstrated the Knifty Knitter Long Loom. I did have any experience with this, so I learned along with several customers. Method reminded me of the spool knitters we had as kids. We were supposed to be making a purse, but all agreed the stitch was just too open. We all wanted to modify the pattern, use half the pegs on the loom and create a soft, open weave scarf. To me it was much slower then crochet or Tunisian, it might be a little faster than knitting, without the stitch variety. So I don't see myself persuring this in the near future. We left that for people to look at, but opted to frog that before we left for the day.
The next hour we did a "one-skein beginner scarf" with an N hook and Homespun. Now my theory of working with Homespun is large hook, large stitch, and whenever possible work into a chain space or around the post of a stitch. The pattern was all singles. Slow and boring, and not the best way to have a beginner experience with Homespun. I think we may work more on this on Saturday when we have our class preview, only because the color I selected was working up so nicely.
The next hour we made a crocheted cell phone cover with the Crochet Lites lighted hooks. I was actually able to finish the crocheting, and sew the side seams, so this little project only needs a large snap and a decorative button. Everyone was happy with this project.
The last hour we demonstrated the newborn hats, in knit and crochet. I had completed 2 1/2 hats at home, and Jackie had finished a crocheted hat, and was working on a knit hat with double pointed needles. This project got the most oohs and aahs for the day.
Six hours of crocheting with new yarns, lighted hooks,trying new patterns,...and like I said at the end "I'm getting paid for this". Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home