Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Motif Crochet-a-Long

On Wednesday I posted the 4th of the motifs for our Crochet-a-Long on "Antique Threadwork". It's a pretty pineapple from "Celt's Vintage Crochet.
"Pinapple Bedspread"
I'm really enjoying leading this CAL. I love to look at doilies, and motifs for bedspreads and tablecloths. I love making the items, also. But ususally only once. I'd go crazy if I tried to make 300 or so all the same. Too boring. Give me a challenge, something new to try. So I decided to make as many motifs as I could, but only one of each. But what do I do with all those single motifs? For now, I make notes of patterns errors and corrections, changes I'd make if I was to use the motif and make it into a doily, or notes on how to join motifs as you work. This gives us some things to discuss in the group, gives us the opportunity to discuss differences in the writing and format of the old patterns versus the modern patterns, and, hopefully, gets a creative juices flowing in thinking about what other things we can make with these motifs.
I worked this pineapple motif in #10 thread with a #7 hook. It's 7" across, and would make a nice little doily if an additional round was added, maybe single crochets with some picots. I think it's a little too large for a summer top, but it might work in a beach coverup! Tonight I blocked it out on the ironing board and gave it a light coat of spray starch and a nice steam, now it's drying. And I'm on to other things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home