Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Friday, February 24, 2006

Snow Flower Doily

During commercials in the Olympics I worked the picot row on the doily. It called for an sc, ch 5 and slip stitch in the first ch. The picot was not as neat & tight as they usually are. The top didn't have a nice point, and the center chain opened up too much. I tried an sc, ch3, slip; then an sc, ch 3, sc - that let the scs slide a little, still too open; then tried an sc, ch 4, and sc into the side of the first sc instead of the chain - that's a pretty picot! And an sc into the side of a stitch is so much easier than a slip into a chain. When you have over 400 picots, it's nice to have one that works up easily. I just have the 3 ruffly center rows to do, but decide to do a light blocking first. I gave it a light water spritz, and gently stretching and the ruffles came out. This is going to be a beautiful doily when finished. Pictures later.