Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

What I've learned about knitting & Tunisian

I selected the leftover orchid yarn because it was light colored so that I could see the stitches, but it was also a happy color to work with.
I used the book Learn How Book #179-B from Coats & Clark's, copyright 1959. The book has basic beginner instructions and patterns for crochet, knitting, tatting and embroidery. I have had this book forever, I don't remember exactly, but I think this is how I learned how to crochet.
I started with plain knitting, or knit every row, called Garter stitch
Knit - you turn your work at the end of each row, when you knit each row you create a definite horizontal rib. Front and back of the piece look the same.
Tunisian - you don't turn the work, to get the same rib, you need to do one row of Tunisian knit stitch, the next row of Tunisian purl (what most books describe as the purl stitch, ARNie & Kim call this the Reverse stitch, I call it a Front purl)
Alternating a row of knit with a row of purl in Tunisian creates the look of Garter stitch.
Then I practiced the Stockinette stitch.
Knit - alternate one row of knit, one row of purl. Front & back will have different looks.
Tunisian - use the Tunisian knit stitch for every row.
Next in the book is ribbing, increasing and decreasing, and I know how to do that in knitting and Tunisian. Then how to do a yarn over for lace patterns. I need to practice this, unfortunately there are no patterns in this booklet that use this technique. Lastly, is the cable. I have recently found a good pattern for cables in crochet, and I'm playing around with cables in Tunisian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home