Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Make a hat class

I think the class was great. I didn't know how many people were planning to come. And didn't know how many needed refreshers & specifics on making this hat, and how many would be beginner crocheters. I was hopeful that those needing a crochet refresher would be able to get a good start on a hat. I can finish one in less than 2 hours.
Turns out I had 13 students, including the 2 I've been working with weekly. Almost every one was a beginner, so I started with how to make a slip knot and how to chain. My 2 regulars, a woman and her 12 year old daughter, were a tremendous help. Once I got everyone started, the 3 of us worked with individuals or pairs to help with specific questions, demonstrations, counting stitches, interpreting the pattern, etc. Many people were unfamiliar with written crochet directions, so tonight's project is to rewrite the pattern in basic English and email it to all the students.
The Shawl Ministry meets this Monday, so I'll see a lot of the students and have a chance to check progress, answer questions, etc. We are planning to have another workshop/class after the holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home