Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Great site for patterns

Love this site. I spent hours looking at all the gorgeous items. I bought an afghan pattern. It's a granny square with groups of puff stitches in pastel colors, looks like puffy flowers in the center of the square. I don't usually do granny squares, and don't like scrap afghans. Let's keep the colors down to 2 or 3 please. So, I was surprised by how much I liked this afghan. I'm thinking of bordering those pastels with white instead of black and making a baby afghan.
"afghan pattern"
I was greatly tempted by this holly afghan, too. This could be worked in Tunisian.
"Festive Hollies Afghan" I decided against it because it came in kit only, and for this I'd want the pattern only. If I decided to make it in Tunisian, I might need more yarn than is included in a kit.

While on this site, I also decided what ornament to make for Christmas this year.
It started when we were first married, homemade ornaments on the tree because we couldn't afford to buy stuff. But I've always been a big crafter, and every year I made new ornaments. When daughter #1 arrived, I made some Baby's First Christmas ornaments, and several family members thought of that for gifts, too. So, I decided that each year I would craft a new ornamnet. Each child would have their own box with their personal ornaments. When the kids were old enough, they would get their box and hang their ornaments on the tree. By the time they were old enough to head out on their own, they should have enough ornaments to decorate a new in their new home.
My Sister-in-law worked at a craft store for years, her job was to make up samples from kits, or items in the store for display. So for many years, we got a new ornament from her. A cradle with Baby's First Christmas, 1983; needleworked poinsettia on a fabric ball;..An aunt worked at a nursing home, each year they had a Christmas bazaar to raise money. She started making ornaments, and her hubby started making some from wood. A cut out State of Maryland, "Not a Creature was stirring" this is my husband's favorite, it's a mousetrap with a little sleeping mouse, the spring-thing is holding his blanket on; a skier made from a pinecone; a sled made from popsicle sticks;... A crafting friend from NJ made one of my favorites, it's a miniature knitted sweater, with a tiny ball of yarn and knitting needles made from toothpicks. I should try to make a similar one in crochet.
My ornaments are varied, fabric, beads, wood, eggshells, and of course, crochet. Snowflakes; ice skates crocheted onto a paperclip for the blades; A Santa face, I think it's the one in Jean Leinhauser's 101 Crochet Squares; poinsettia flower; holly leaves and berries; Santa hats & boots'...
So, this year I have selected a snowflake with a poinsettia flower in the center. I bought the kit from Maggie's Crochet "Poinsettia snowflake"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home