Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yarn Review - NaturallyCaron Spa

NaturallyCaron Spa

This is a blend of 75% microdenier acrylic, and 25% bamboo. The bamboo adds a light sheen to the fabric, and it’s super soft!
This fiber is listed as a #3, light worsted or DK weight. I got about 14 wraps per inch. The label recommends a G hook (4mm) and a gauge of 22 stitches and 30 rows in a 4 x 4 inch swatch.
It comes in a 3 oz (85 g) ball, with 251 yards (290m). The label says “12 ply cable Superior 3-D stitches Shape Control Softness”
This yarn is machine washable on warm, gentle; and machine dry on low, delicate. That’s a super plus as far as I’m concerned.
I tried several stitches and stitch combinations, of course including some Tunisian stitches. It has great stitch definition. The crocheting is super smooth, no splitting, pilling or lint. And I tested it by pulling everything out, and restitching the yarn. The yarn “frogs” as nicely as it stitches, and yarn used over several times for swatches still looked great.
I originally planned to buy one or two skeins of this just to play with, swatch and write a review; then talked myself into buying 6 skeins with no plans for a project.
The yarn arrived yesterday, but I didn’t open the package until this afternoon. The super softness grabbed me, and I had to start swatching immediately. Tonight at Borders I was flipping through several new crochet magazines, and was attracted to several shawls in Crochet Today and Interweave Crochet, they would have looked beautiful in this fiber. But then I found it! In the Interweave Crochet Spring 2008issue and it’s called Ring Around the Posies by Tammy Hildebrand. It is made up of 4inch motifs that are joined as you go, short cap sleeves, and you wear it over a cami. Perfect! I made two motifs this evening.
I'm super excited by this yarn and this project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home