Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Earth Day/Week/Month & new fibers

While you're on that Jimmy Beans Wool newsletter, be sure to scroll down and check out the entry on Earth Month and "Knit Green". Follow the links to some great new yarns, this falls right into place with my focus for this week on new non-wool yarns. I'm looking at the Cascade Pima Tencel with that "I'd love to have just one ball of that to play with and swatch" feeling. No wait, Rowan 100% bamboo in a DK/fingering weight! I like the Nashua Ecologie cotton, the fibers are not dyed, the cotton grows in these lovely colors. I read a magazine article about that some time ago. What about the Crystal Palace Panda cotton, a cotton/bamboo/elastic blend.

I love the way they've put together their color cards. Some websites just show a block of color, others show the fiber in the skein. This site shows some in the skein, some just strands, and others knitted up, it gives more of an idea of what a project might look like. Have you ever selected a variegated fiber that looks great in the skein but when you started crocheting the colors blotched instead of striping nicely? It helps to see the fibers knitted, but it would be helpful if some of those fibers were also crocheted. It's easy enough to make a small swatch in single crochet.

Back to dreaming about buying new yarns!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home