Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yarn Review - Queensland Collection Bebe Cotsoy

Queensland Collection Bebe Cotsoy is a blend of 50% cotton and 50% soy. 50 grams, 100 meters, 110 yards. 5 sts = 1"/ US 7.

Yarndex lists this as a worsted weight yarn, but that is totally inaccurate. Several other websites that have the yarn for sale have it listed as a DK weight, and some even list it as a fingering weight. Cotsoy is a 4 ply yarn, with about 16 wraps per inch, putting it in the fingering weight category.
I did a full swatching session with this yarn, starting with chains, then progressing to single crochet, half-doubles and doubles, then some shells, and then several Tunisian stitches. All of them look beautiful and work up easily. Also, I tried pulling out stitches, and reusing the yarn. The stitches pull out as easily as they go in! And the reused yarn looks as nice as the new yarn. I didn’t notice any splitting, pilling or lint.
I think this yarn would be great as a spring top, and definitely baby clothes.
There is no laundering information on the label, but several of the sale sites recommended cold water handwash, with a lay flat dry. I filled the sink up with cold water, and tossed the swatch in, it floated without absorbing any water. I poked it under a few times, and it popped back to the surface. So I decided to wait and see how long it took to soak up water, an hour later it was still floating. So I turned on the water and moved the swatch under the running water, it still did not absorb any water, so I pushed it under and held it until it got saturated. I think that this means that if you go caught in a spring shower, the top would not soak up water and become heavy. After a gentle washing, I laid it out on a towel to air dry. When it was almost dry, I used clothespins and hung it up. After letting it completely dry, I laid it on the paper and compared it to the outline I drew of the dry swatch. The swatch did not shrink, however, it did “square up” nicely.
The swatch is even softer than before washing, and looks just as nice.
I highly recommend this yarn!

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 28, 2008, Blogger Terri said...

Thanks for this review. My friend just bought me some of this yarn as I am knitting for my expected baby and I wanted to find out more information about it. I am amazed at how soft it is and after reconfirming it's qualities with your review I'll definitely be buying more!

 
At Friday, May 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terri,
I'm glad you liked the review. I'm focusing now on finding new non-wool yarns, sampling and swatching and writing reviews.
And you reminded me that I need to make a baby gift and this would be the perfect yarn. Thanks.
Congratulations on the expected baby!

 
At Friday, September 18, 2009, Blogger Elaine said...

What size hook do you recommend for this yarn?

 
At Friday, September 18, 2009, Anonymous Jane's Hooked on Crochet said...

Elaine,
What size hook to use for a particular yarn depends on a lot of factors.
Do you crochet tight or loose? When working someone else's patterns do you generally use the recommended hook to get the stated gauge, or do you have to up or down in hook sizes before matching the gauge?
Do you want a firm, dense fabric or a light, airy fabric?

For this yarn, I would probably start swatching with about an H, I or J. Then it would depend on my stitch pattern, and how I liked the results.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home