Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Ocean Waves stitch

Yesterday I got out my binder of color cards. I have a lot of the Red Heart and Coats & Clark yarn cards. This saves a lot of time at the store, running from store to store, and looking on the Internet deciding what colors go together. I especially find the Red Heart Super Saver indispensable, along with short strands of the exact yarn, on the back is a list of the variegated yarns and what solid colors match. I started with a list of variagated choices and made a list of what blues went with each. Then I got daughter #1 involved, and we looked at the colors together. She selected several combinations that she liked. Today, I went to the stash and pulled out some skeins and partial skeins and started the swatching process.
Shaded blues and periwinkle,...no, the periwinkle is bright, and the shaded blues are dusky. I like the periwinkle and Monet, and even though we started with the idea of a blue, or blues, she prefers Monet and white. The white makes all the colors in the Monet really stand out! And there are a lot of colors - blues, greens, purples, rose, yellows, and wonderful shading. I'd love to find some of the blues and that shiny blue-green in a solid!
In swatching I did find a small error in the pattern. Row 1 needs to have a [hdc in next st] twice, between the two doubles and the last 2 singles. I'm also planning to switch the single crochet row to half doubles. It'll work up a little faster, add an interesting ridge that helps to set off the solid color, and no one will ever know the difference (unless they read it here!)
Now I'm working on checking gauge, deciding on finished size, and calculating the starting chain. I'm thinking approximately 36 x 40, with a small border. That's the hardest part for me, working out the border.
Check out two of the color choosing swatches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home