Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, January 29, 2006

swatching for doily



The Crochet-A-Long selected the "Design 555" from Celtwich site, it has 3 doilies. An oval pineapple, a star, and a swirl. Since we did a pineapple already, I've selected the swirl. Yesterday I spent swatching, trying to find the perfect combination of color, thread and hook. It calls for a #8 hook with #10 thread, but I tend to work loose and usually have to drop down 1 or 2 hook sizes. I don't have a #9, so I started with a #10 hook and light blue thread. Very tight and it cupped a little, so I moved up. The #8 and #7 I have are in-line hooks, so I went all the way up to a #6 and dark blue thread. The stitches are too loose, so I went to the #8 with the dark blue, the stitches look a lot better, but the thread is splitting badly. I'm going to have to go with the #10 hook until I can get out and buy some new Boye tapered hooks. So I try the #10 hook with a light orchid thread. Love the look, and finish about 15 rows, but it's cupping very badly. I pin it to the blocking board and give it a light steam and leave it pinned overnight.
Today I went out and bought 3 new hooks, Boye aluminum F, and steel 7 & 8. They didn't have a 9. Tonight, back to the doily

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home