Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Monday, August 22, 2005

Crochet instructions throughout History

Today I found a website where the author has collected "how to crochet" information from various sources prior to 1930. Very interesting information.
"Pre 1930 crochet stitch instructions"
I especially like the instruction to "throw" the thread over the hook.
Try comparing instruction on one particular stitch from all the different sources.
For example in the Handbook of Needlecraft, 1915 the description of a double crochet, sounds like what I use as a single crochet. But, don't forget that British and American instructions also have this discrepancy. What they call a short treble, with a note that it is sometimes called a half treble, is what we call a half double.
The Handbook of Needlecraft includes instructions for the roll stitch, also known as bullion.
The Emma Farmes Lingerie Book, 1907 includes instruction for Mile a Minute Lace. I thought Mile a Minute was a very new technique.
I don't know how anyone could have every learned the knot stitch from any of the directions!
This resource could be extremely helpful if you're working a on a project from a vintage book. It is also interesting on it's own.
Vintage - that reminds me, don't you hate it when someone refers to a pattern from the 60's or 70's as vintage! I think the 30's and 40's qualify as vintage, patterns from the 70's are hardly even old!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home