Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Monday, August 15, 2005

Flexible planning

In order to organize my plans for the County Fair, I put everything onto an Excel spreadsheet. I have columns for department, section, class, item, description, premium, and whether it's completed. I was originally thinking about possibly 20 entries, but will have to cut back. I have finished 2 doilies, a scarf, and the baby dress. Evidently there is no place to enter the matching booties, but I will take them along and see if they will display them together. I could enter a baby sweater with bonnet and booties, but probably won't have time to do that now.

On Friday I was asked (by a frequent customer) to make an afghan for a September wedding. Since I start teaching again in the beginning of Sept. and need time to plan lessons and syllabus for 4 classes, I just have to cut back on items for the Fair.

I went to the stash-enhancing store yesterday. Red Heart Super Savers (8 oz) were on sale for $1.59. The plan was to purchase RH in amethyst for the "It's all about the Purple" afghan to be raffled off at the dance studio. I also wanted to purchase some Bernat Softee Baby in white for a baby afghan. The pattern is in a new booklet that I purchased (like I needed to buy more afghan patterns!), "Love Me Tender Baby Afghans". The afghan is made of hexagon shaped motifs with 6 hearts in each hexagon. I really like different geometric shapes, something besides the usual squares. Remember, I teach math. Anyway, the plan was to make the baby afghan for the County Fair, and after the Fair is over, to take the afghan to the Shawl Ministry at the church. The store had every color of Softee Baby except white.

Next, they also didn't have any RH in amethyst. The best laid plans.... So, what do they have? What can I work into my ideas? In the mill-end assortment they had a beautiful purple put up in one pound skeins at $3.59, so I bought all 6 of the skeins. I now plan to use this for the afghan to be raffled, after entering it in the Fair! I am using a pattern form the Afghan Collector's Series from the Needlecraft Shop. I selected it because it includes front post and back post doubles, more of a challenge than a ripple or granny square. But the pattern is working up much faster than I was expecting, I finished 15 rows this evening. The yarn is very soft, I'll keep my eyes open for what else they might have in mill-ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home