Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Baby Dress for Fair


I finished the baby dress I was making for the County Fair entry. I chose a lilac fingering weight Bernat yarn. The bodice is worked in half doubles, with front post and back post hdcs. It creates a smocked look, absolutely gorgeous. The skirt is patterned with ch 1, skip 1, hdc; then next row has split hdc clusters with picots. There is 1/4" satin ribbon woven through the last row of the sleeves, I liked the look and decided to add a ribbon through the next-to-last row of the skirt, also. The pattern called for 6 roses embroidered on the bodice, but I thought it would detract from the smocked-look. I bought some ribbon that had white satin edging, pale green vines and leaves, then roses in lilac, pink and yellow. I cut off a single lilac rose with leaves, cut away the ribbon backing and sewed one to the center front of the bodice.
Today I finished one of the booties, and just started the second. They are beautiful! Tomorrow, bonnet. The pattern has a matching hat, it's not quite a mop hat. I don't particularly care for it, I'm thinking of attempting to make a traditional baby bonnet using the stitch pattern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home