Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

March - National Crochet Month

Balloons! Confetti! Yarn! Lots of Partying!
I'm celebrating National Crochet Month. I started the month by finishing a Tunisian Shawl in TLC Heathers Faded Denim. This item is just for me. I wanted to have some of my creations to wear at the CGOA Regional Conference in King of Prussia, PA at the end of the month.
That Tunisian hook didn't have any time to cool off! I immediately started the next prayer shawl. Between the snow and a bad cold/sinus problem, I got a narrow window and went to several stores for yarn on Sunday. I talked my husband into going along. I was going to pick up 4 skeins of a white or off-white for the next shawl, he talked me into getting enough yarn to make 3 more shawls, insisting that I take all the skeins in the store of this beautiful Claret. Now, Michaels did have this Red Heart Super Saver on sale for $1.47. I probably should have taken some of that Frosty Green, too!
Yesterday, while reading the Crochet Partners List digest, I explored a lot of new web sites. I found a pattern for a bookmark crocheted and beads added. I thought this would be a great gift for my oldest daughter, she turned 22 yesterday! I have some black crochet thread with silver strands, and she has oodles of beads! So I spent time sorting out beads I liked, only to find they had to be large enough to slip over the crocheted thread, not just the crochet thread. Chain 150 with a steel #7 hook, oh the fun is beginning. Then slip stitch into each chain. Well, my fingers and eyes aren't what they used to be, and a metallic strand! The thread and metallic have a tendency to separate, and the metallic makes the thread kink. Even with a high powered craft light I was unable to make this work. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. In the meantime, I've found a pattern for a miniature broomstick lace bookmark. How cute is that! "Broomstick lace bookmark"
And on, if that variegated purple yarn ever arrives! I need to get back to the afghan that I'm making for a customer/friend. I'm also working hard on making scarves and writing patterns in Tunisian crochet, hope to get some of these patterns published.
I'm still thinking about taking the Crochet Guild of America (CGOA) Master class on basic stitches, and the Craft Yarn Council of America's (CYCA) class to become a Certified Instructor. Michaels website has a notice that every store is adding a teacher for crocheting and for knitting. I've been thinking of going in and offering to teach a class on Tunisian. It's frustrating that A.C. Moore and Ben Franklin display so many knitted projects in the yarn section, and sometimes 1 crocheted item. I've been itching to show them what can be done with the new novelty yarns, crocheting and Tunisian crochet.
Who knows what else will come in the middle of this month of celebrating, but I'm going out of March like a Lion! I'm attending the CGOA Regional Conference, I've registered for 4 whole days of crocheting and Tunisian classes! I splurged and registered for a breakfast fashion show and a banquet fashion show, then there's the yarn market! Free! I hope to get some yummy new yarns, especially some ribbon yarns; and I want to get at least one wooden Tunisian hook.
How are you celebrating? Taking a class? Teaching a class? Trying a new yarn? Exploring a new type or technique of crochet - thread work, or yarn if you're a thready; Tunisian, filet, broomstick,...?
Whatever you choose,...Enjoy!

"Crochet Partners"
"Crochet Guild of America (CGOA)"
"CGOA Regional Conference"
"Starting a CGOA Chapter"
"Craft Yarn Council of America (CYCA) "
"CYCA Certified Instructors Program (CIP) "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home