Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Mittens & Hat

A friend asked me to make a pair of mittens and a hat for a toddler; in light, light. light pink. I thought Red Heart's Baby Clouds would be a great choice, pale pink, soft & cuddly. I bought one skein and started searching for a pattern.
I started with Lion Brand Homespun Family of Mittens -http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-mittens.html
thinking that Baby Clouds and Homespun would be about the same thickness and the pattern says Toddler (size 2). The pattern calls for a G and an H hook. A G hook with Homespun! What were they thinking? The yarn needed at least an I hook, and then the mittens would be too big.
LB's Wool-Ease Chunky Crocheted Mittens -
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwec-mittens.html
Again, chunky yarn with a G hook.
So I abandoned that gorgeous, soft Baby Clouds and tried RH Baby Sport, I place this between a sport weight and a worsted. Still too big. So I switched patterns to Children's Crocheted Mittens from Sue's CrochetandKnitting.com - http://crochetandknitting.com/mittensm.htm
This pattern has suggestions for hook changes to make different sized mittens. I used Lion Brand baby yarn and an F hook. I also adjusted the pattern, using about 3/4 of the starting chain called for. The mittens are adorable. Can't wait to get a picture of these on the blog. I am now creating a hat in the same stitch pattern. The request was for a hat that divides into 2 parts and they each have a tie. I'm thinking like a Santa hat, but split into two parts after the head is covered.
I also have patterns for 2 versions of Tunisian mittens, 1 with a thumb and 1 without. These call for a sport weight yarn. I should give them a try. I love Tunisian!
Back to the hat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home