Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Reading and swatching

Right now, I'm re-reading "No Sheep for You". I guess researching for the library display got me in the mood for playing with the yummy - no wool fibers. I have some new balls of #10 thread in bamboo, it's incredibly soft. It would be a shame to work this up tight in a doily, and then starch it. I purchased a pattern for a sweet baby dress in #10 thread and I've ordered more of this fiber in a pretty pink. But I'm also thinking about a light summer top. I think that I've got the pattern selected.

I recently took time to look through the stash with a legal pad & pencil in hand, and wrote down information about the yarns that I've purchased for sweaters (with only a general idea in mind). I wrote down fiber content, # of skeins/balls/hanks and # of yards per skein. Then I calculated the total yardage of the fibers.
Next I started through stacks of Crochet! and Crochet Fantasy Magazines, and books; and made notes of garments that I really liked - sweater title, what book it's in, page number, fiber used, weight, and yardage. Next I started swatching sections of different patterns with different fibers. I should scan some of the swatches!
I think that I've selected two different patterns that will go with fiber that's in the stash, and one more that I couldn't resist and I've ordered some Royale #3 fashion thread for that project. I've purchased one ball of about 7 different colors just to play with. I really love the texture and the sheen. I was very glad to find this lovely lace overblouse using the #3 thread.

What else is happening in my crochet world? Yesterday's mail brought the brouchure for the Spring Knit & Crochet Show in Portland, Oregon in May! Fun reading for this weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home