Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Friday, July 04, 2008

July/ August issue of Piecework magazine

I just received a newsletter from Knitting Daily, with information on the July/August issue of Piecework magazine. If you're a fiber-holic of any kind you should check out this magazine. Each issue has something about knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery, etc. It has a nice blend of nostalgia/vintage and looking to the future/modern items.
This specific issue warrants mention on my blog for the following two items:
"Travel back in time with Franklin Habit to a Pennsylvania mining town and knit his Patch House edging.
Plus, crochet Polish lace, see Old Sturbridge Village samplers, and cross-stitch motifs from an 1806 sampler."
My great-grandfather, grandfather, father, and mother lived in a Pennsylvania mining town, and it was called "The Patch". So I'm interested in seeing this edging, even if it is knitted. Then one of the photos at the bottom of the newsletter is of this edging, and it looks like it would easily translate to filet crochet.
Next, there is an article and probably pictures of crochet - the Polish lace. Now I'm interested: how is Polish lace different from/similar to Irish crochet lace, or Battenburg lace? On my next trip to Borders I'll be looking for this magazine.

1 Comments:

At Friday, July 04, 2008, Blogger Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

My issue of this magazine arrived last week... it's wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home