Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Mathcounts and crocheting

I spent all day yesterday at Mathcounts. I took 5 students to the Regional Competition at Penn State Harrisburg, we had a full day of testing. We played math games between different portions of the testing. Had a great day.
Last night I started a new doily. It was the Doily of the Month (Yahoo group) for January, entitled Pink Blush (from FreePatterns.com). I had originally decided not to do this one, the picture didn't took that special, and I have a long list of pineapple doilies that I want to do. But then I decided that I frequently skip the choices of the group, and I joined this group to participate. It was a small doily, about 8", and looked fairly simple, so I decided to do it between larger projects. I started it in a bright yellow, I know it's called Pink Blush, but I have several others that I want to do in pink, and I figured a pineapple would look nice in yellow. After about 5 rounds the doily started ruffling, and I thought that I might need to go to a smaller hook, or a thinner thread. So I tried again in a pale mint green, slightly thinner, but still #10 thread. This thread started nicely, but started ruffling at about the same place. I decide that it was working up quickly enough, if it didn't shape up, I had wasted that much time and thread. Well, about round 9, it started pulling in and laying flat again. I finished the mint today. The 1/2 of the yellow and all of the mint took about 1 1/2 movies. So, maybe later this week I will finish up that yellow one. I've taken the white diamond spiderweb up off the blocking area, and blocked the mint pineapple.
I already have at least 3 doilies lined up to work on next. The February Doily of the Month is a beautiful pineapple with hearts and great 3-d stitches. I've also printed out several Crochet-a-Long doilies from "Crochet Memories" with pretty heart designs.
Now, I really need to spend time on lesson plans, homework assignments and grading papers. Tomorrow is Shawl Ministry night, and I teach on Tuesday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home