Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Friday, February 23, 2007

An historical look at crochet and crochet terms

Carol Alexander, publishes an excellent e-newsletter called Talking Crochet. In an article for Annie's Attic in 2005, she used an excerpt from an old needlework book. It's quite entertaining, and gives us a glimpse of ladies' lives in the 1800's. I came across this because I'm searching for the term "plain stitch" in old crochet patterns.

Someone in the Antique Pattern Library group was looking for an explanation of the "plain stitch" used in the pattern she's working. The most helpful item I've found so far is a table in the Antique Pattern Library. This table is set up with British (UK) modern terms and US modern terms, then under those catagories there are references to antique or vintage books.

For example - the UK modern term slip stitch, which is also the US modern term, is refered to as a "plain single crochet" in My Crochet Sampler, published in 1844, London by Miss Lambert; and a single stitch in Mlle Riego's Crochet books published in London from 1845-1970; but is called a "plain stitch" in the Royal Crochet Worker published in London 1850's. But, to confuse matters further, the UK modern term double crochet, which is the US single crochet, is refered to as a "plain stitch" in the Mlle. Riego Crochet books. So depending on where and when the pattern was printed, this could refer to a slip sstitch, a single crochet or a double crochet. I've posted some information to the group, but also asked the lady to give us more information from her pattern. It's not only helpful to the person with the question, but hopefully, we've started an interesting and informative discussion. I do love to research!

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 13, 2008, Blogger DavidsAngel said...

Hi there! Love your blog. I was curious as to whether or not you know where I can find the 3rd, 4th, and 5th editions of the "Royal Crochet Worker" books... I have 1, 2 and 6 and would like to complete my set if possible.

Thanks for taking the time,
DavidsAngel

 
At Tuesday, May 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi DavidsAngel,
My first suggestion was going to be to check the Antique Pattern Library, but found that they have #1, 2, 6 and are looking for 3, 4, and 5. Next, I would check Alibris.com that's an online site that searches it's own shelves, but also about 500 other book stores. You then buy from whatever bookstore has what you want. However, an Alibris search didn't locate these either. An eBay search didn't locate anything. So my last resort recommendation is to go to Alibris & eBay and enter your search, when it comes back with no hits, check the box that says contact me if the item becomes available. Jane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home