Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, June 04, 2006

A prettier join

Have I mentioned that I'm not fond of granny squares? All the stopping and starting, all the joins, the ends to work in, and then joining the squares. I really prefer a one-piece afghan. But I'm up to #35 of the 80 squares.
I've been experimenting to find a nice join for these squares. And here's what I've worked out.
After completing the last stitch of the round, cut the yarn leaving 4 to 6 inches for working in the end securely. Insert hook into the back loop only of the first stitch of the round, yarn over and pull through that loop and the loop on your hook, pull the end completely through. Then insert your hook into the front loop of the first stitch, catch the yarn and pull through the front loop. Insert your hook from back to front between the first and second stitch of the round, catch the yarn and pull it through to the back of your work. Now, you can work in the end as you normally would. I prefer to use my crochet hook, and not a yarn needle, but I know that a lot of crocheters use a needle.
Here's a picture of one of the squares I've finished. Do you like the join?


The colors are not true to life. The first is pale plum, the second orchid and dark orchid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home