Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Book Review - Crocheted Lace

I've been buying new crochet books and magazines, and have been too busy to look at them! This week, with both girls gone again, I started sorting through the boxes, and exploring some of the books.
Here is the first review - hope to add more soon.

Crocheted Lace: Techniques, Patterns and Projects, by Pauline Turner; Martingale & Company, Woodinville, WA, 2003

I first looked at this book earlier this year when I was at the Farm Show & discovered the booth by the Keystone Lace Guild. From basics to advanced techniques, this book covers everything to get you started in making lace - history of crochet & crochet patterns, samples of early lace, charts of hook sizes, and thread sizes, how to make basic stitches, and different types of lace. Then there are chapters on filet, and Irish crochet, and imitations of other laces, such as Tenerif and Honiton, and a chapter on edgings. There is information on techniques, such as joining and finishing. There are a lot of photographs and diagrams, and plenty of patterns - motifs, doilies, baby blanket, gloves, and a vest made of motifs. I like the small "filler" motifs to join circles, octagons, etc into a blanket or garment. I want to experiment with making up some fillers. I made the Sunflower Lace motif, and have my eyes on that Old English Wheel. Wow!