Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Dee & I discuss the Delta crochet class

Dee has finished lesson 3 of the Delta crochet, also. She's posted a picture of the doily on her blog, please check it out. Dee's always writing about interesting yarns, classes, techniques, etc and always with a lot of humor. I love to read her journal.
Well, Dee mentioned that she had trouble with the pictures on the lessons and asked if I had similar problems. I posted a comment on her journal, but thought I'd add the info. here also. Just in case anyone's following the progress, or also taking the class.

I had great trouble figuring out those detail pictures. I kept fussing "I don't know where they want me to put this petal". The hardest was the "corner blossom".
Here's what I finally figured out, the entire series of detail pictures (below the full chart) is show from the point of view of the completed blossom. For the first 3 petals you are working on a row, the last 3 petals are worked on the following row. Instead of showing the first 3 from the direction you're working that row, it's shown from the direction it will be when finishing on the following row. That's why I made use of the colored highlighters. I colored the first petal blue on both charts (full & detail) then in blue, I wrote out the directions. Petal 2 I colored green, then wrote out the directions in green. Then I was able to work from the directions that I had written. That helped me to understand what I was seeing on the charts.
I think it might help, if there was a note between detail picture # 3 and 4 that you've turned your work.
The next 3 lessons are creating a full sized doily. I'm thinking of buying some nicer thread for that. Maybe a #20 Cebelia, now what color?