Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Thursday was Fiber fun Night

Thursday evening I went to the Local Yarn Shop - Knitters Dream. I took a class in beginning knitting! I know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off (I think I remember how to do that). The class was on various methods to increase and decrease, and pattern reading. I've been looking at some simple knitting patterns and trying to convert them to Tunisian. Well, now I know what it means to "slip one stitch, purl-wise". Great sized class, there were two of us, so the teacher, shop owner Linda, was able to give us a lot of individual attention. Oh, the other lady was finishing up a little purse crocheted in nylon, with a a row of loop stitch in a variagated ribbon, and the cutest little flower button closing. Linda was helping her with the finishing touches. By the way, the shop sells crochet hooks, and patterns, and is very crochet friendly.
While attending the Knitters' Day Out earlier this year, Linda and her co-owner/daughter Angie admired my Tunisian knit scarf. I told them a little about Tunisian, and they asked me to teach a class at the shop! Thursday I gave them a class proposal with pictures and patterns of the scarves I designed. The class will be an introducation of Tunisian and making a fashion skinny scarf.
Then, the yarn shopping! This store is fabulously stocked, well-organized, neat and clean, and lots of everything you can think of! I purchased some yarn for socks for the Crochet-a-long, a pretty aqua shade, and a striped with the aqua, pink and white. I bough some boucle in blue and purple for a Tunisian scarf. Then a pink ribbony fiber and some pink/blue/white thread with glittery effect. Plan to combine those in a Tunisian scarf, that'll be for Pink Day at the CGOA convention this summer. Then I had to get some blue nylon cording and a pretty variegated cord to make one of those fabulous little purses! My purchases were all nicely arranged in a shopping bag with colorful tissue paper, like at a fancy boutique. Oh, and everything in the store was 20% off. Except for the boucle, I picked that up in the clearance room, for 30% off. I'm so happy, droooling over the fiber!!
"Knitters Dream online store"