Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Friday, March 10, 2006

Crocheting in Public

Yesterday, my friend/student and I spent 2 hours crocheting in the library. Currently I am teaching her Tunisian, she wants to create a shawl in Homespun, similar to one I'm currently making. She has learned the Tunisian Simple Stitch (aka TSS & Basic Afghan stitch BAS), the Tunisian Knit and Tunisian Purl. She is currently practing a swatch which uses all the stitches, and looks at how they look with several rows of TSS, followed by several rows of knit, then a section of alternating knit and purl rows. She works very precisely and this piece, in orchid, is beautiful. She currently has about a 5 x 7 swatch. I think she plans to continue until it's 7 x 9, and then donate the rectangle to Warm Up America. I recently dropped off about 40 rectangles made by my students and me.
We then reviewed the pattern for a diagonal box stitch. She just finished a triangular shawl with this stitch, but needed help getting the next one started. This is a little tricky to get started, and doesn't help when you're using Homespun.
But, she got it started and finished about 4 rows.