Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Blurring the line between knitters and crocheters

While at Dee's fantastic blog, read her entry for Thursday March 2nd. "Needing to Blur the Line". This is about the attitude many knitters have toward crocheters, and it seems to be felt frequently at your Local Yarn Shop (LYS). I have felt that at one of the local shops I've visited, but had a totally different experience at another. Now it may have help that I know one of the co-owners from the dance studio where I work part time, but I think it's more that these 2 ladies love yarn, and don't care what you do with it, as long as you enjoy it and create something that you like. They admired my Tunisian scarf when I wore it to a Knit Out Day, and after telling them something about the technique they said I should teach a class at their shop.
I think Debbie Stoller's new book Stitch'NBitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker would help with this problem. I loved the book from the first paragraph, it's up-to-date, fresh, funny, and Accurate! Her explanations of how to do each stitch are so detailed that anyone should be able to follow them and create stitches. And her attitude toward crochet is very positive. But most of all her attitude toward knitters is that they should try this technique, it's easier, faster, and can create so many different stitches and stitch combinations that they would be impressed. But, that means knitters will have to look beyond the title and pick it up & read it because Debbie Stoller's name is on it.
A book review is planned in the future, busy on several big projects at this time.