Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Books

Yesterday, I received my Encyclopedia of Crochet by Donna Kooler. Since I went out to the Ballet with some people from the dance studio, I just got a chance to flip through this book. First there is an introduction and history of crochet, then the book is separated into 3 sections - Basics, with patterns; Beyond the basics, patterns; and a Pattern Gallery; last an FYI section. On the inside front cover is a list of abbreviations, and on the inside back cover, chart symbols - including Tunisian!
Someone on the Easy Tunisian list was looking for instructions to make bobbles, so I first flipped to a pattern named Baby Bobbles. It is beautiful, and the designer is Melissa Leapman. Still flipping I found more patterns by Melissa, and patterns by Kathleen Power Johnson. I had classes with both these designers at the CGOA Conference.
The introduction sections has photos of antique hooks, and pieces of crochet lace. There are charts of hook sizes, yarn label symbols, weights of yarn,etc. The book is jammed full of information and pictures. And the pictures are fabulous! This is not a thumbnail of a stitch in black and white, but a full sized color photo so you can see all the details. Stitch instuctions are fully detailed, both right and left handed, and have an abundance of pictures.
The Pattern Gallery has individual stitch and stitch patterns. Each entry has a nice color picture, instructions in symbols and in words.
I have picked out several stitches that I have to try, afghan ideas!
I have been crocheting for over 40 years, had a supply of crocheting books, and this is sill a must-have!
Read editorial review and customers' reviews at Amazon "Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home