Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Thursday, February 18, 2010

More on linked stitches & seeing connections

I've spent a few days playing with linked stitches. And I've definitely been enjoying the exploration. So far, I've created a swatch consisting of foundation stitches and 15 linked doubles. To practice, I made a 7 x 9 block for "Warm Up America" .

So what are some of the things that I've discovered in my explorations:

It's fun to explore linked stitches & better understand the construction of stitches

Linked dcs look like consecutively worked rows of dcs in the back loop only

The technique leaves a nice free loop that would be great for working long or spiked stitches




Turned 90 degrees the swatch has great vertical bars, like Tunisian simple stitch


The process of working linked stitches is almost identical to working off the loops of Tunisian stitches

Variegated yarns create interesting stitch patterns


I used an L hook with worsted weight yarn and created a fabric with fabulous drape

Clink on the link in the last post and watch the video of linked doubles, Thata calls them "express doubles". Then get out your hook and yarn and do some playing on your own. What can you find out about this technique? What design ideas does that playing create? I've created several pages of notes and swatches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home