Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Since Saturday I've been working on a new thread project. It's a doily that's part of a crochet-a-long contest with one of the groups that I've joined. It has a start in the center, then works out to shells. I decided to work the star in a white thread that has a "pearlescent" effect, then the next section in pastel variegated, and the outside shell rounds in a medium blue. I really love the way it worked up. Tonight I took it along to our "Crochet in Public" at Borders, I had about 1 1/2 rows to finish, and they were easy enough that I thought that I could work them while doing our usual chatting.
An employee came around and told us that there was a guest author, Jason Wright, who was going to do a reading and book signing. I'm an avid reader, and enjoy these things so I asked if anyone wanted to go along with me. Two of us took our needlework and sat down in chairs facing the small table with books. There were only a couple people waiting, so the author chatted with us, and asked what we were working on. Justine's mom was making a scarf for the Special Olympics challenge, and our CGOA chapter participation in the 60 Scarves in 60 Days Challenge, and told about that. I was working on the doily. Later during the talk Jason stopped, said that we'd show up in a later book, and asked how the doily was coming. I told him I make them because the pattern calls to me and I have to make them, but seldom are they for anyone specific. He said that he wanted it. While waiting in line to get my book purchase autographed (The Wednesday Letters), I finished the doily. I told him that I'd block it, and send it to him. He said "I was just yanking your chain". He didn't want to take it from some orphan, somewhere.
After arriving home tonight I worked in the ends, it's difficult to do that in the lighting at Borders at night. I've just finished blocking it.

1 Comments:

At Friday, November 14, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story! I love reading how people meet Jason Wright and their impressions of him. I have no doubt he will put you in one of his future books! He has a way of winding many people he comes into contact with into his books and storylines. I work with Jason and thought you’d like knowing he has a new contest on his web site where you can win a free trip-for-two to his hometown in VA, the Shenandoah Valley. All you have to do is mail him a Christmas card! All the details are here:

http://www.jasonfwright.com/triptosvalley.php

 

Post a Comment

<< Home