Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Friday, July 21, 2006

Sunday at the Conference

By Saturday evening, I was saying "My brain is full, don't try to stuff in any more information." Luckily, Sunday morning's class was scheduled just for fun. Some hands on work, carving & sanding. I wasn't trying to get enough information and experience to become an expert hook carver. I just wanted to have the experience of making one hook. The instructor was Nancy Nehring, and she really knows her stuff.
Once again I have to say what a great job everyone did at this conference, every teacher I had was extremely knowledgable.
I selected a pretty oak, I liked the wood grain! When we actually started carving, and filing, I found out that oak is a very hard wood. I got some extra tips about carving and tools from Brian, of "Brainsbarn"
I prefer a tapered head, rather than an inline, so I had a little more shaping to do than some others in the class. I didn't spend any time making fancy rings or adding "fancies", but there were some very nice hooks made in the class.
I have some wicked allergies, so I had to take a short break, go out into the hall and take some extra medication, get a drink of water and breath! Nothing serious, just something I live with.
Anyway, it took me 2 1/2 hours to create this first hook. I selected a thinner and softer wood and started on a second hook. I figured if I got the basic shape worked, I could always do the final shaping and sanding at home. But the second went so much faster than the first and I finished it in 1/2 hour. I took a chance on the walnut oil (possible allergen, but I don't have nut allergies), and I'm glad that I did. The oil brought out the wood grain so nicely.
Tuesday evening I went to Borders, my friend Faith & I crochet in public there, sometimes with 1 or 2 of her teenage daughters. I wasn't ready to jump into any new complex projects, so I took out the small wooden hook and practiced a little Crazy Basketweave. I thought that's what it was called, but can't find a link for it now. I know that I've printed it off at least twice, so I guess I have to spend more time organizing patterns!

Here's a very blurry picture of my hooks, will take another picture. In the meantime, I'm thinking of one more rub with super fine sandpaper, and then maybe some paste wax furniture polish.
After class I went back to the Market, I wasn't planning on buying anything more, I just wanted to stroll through and look at all the fibers, beads, hooks, and other accessories. I just realized (Friday 2 am) that I forgot to look at the books! Well, I've bought some many books and booklets later that I really didn't need to buy any more. But I like to know what's new on the shelves, and the local Borders isn't going to have it. Maybe when both my girls are home we'll take a "field trip" to the Barnes & Noble, hours of browsing books, some fancy coffee, time to chat together about books. Fun!
About 3 pm Sunday I drove home, it took several days of sleeping in my own bed to catch up on lost sleep. What a great week!


Post a Comment

<< Home