Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Friday, August 18, 2006

Newest project

Last week while stitching at Michaels I mentioned that I was looking for a specific color of #10 thread to make a doily for my sister. I wanted a creamy color. I had found a lot of bright white, then "Natural" and "ecru", both way too brown/tan as far as I'm concerned. I wanted a "soft white" or "off white", just lightly beige. Well, Faith called me later & said she had just the color. She brought it this week when we got together at Borders to crochet in public. On Wednesday, I got a digest from "Antique Pattern Library", one of many Yahoo crochet groups to which I belong. This group preserves antique needlework patterns on which the copyright has expired. They scan the patterns/books and make them available online. I printed out Priscilla Crochet Book Edgings & Insertions (1915), Priscilla Crochet Book Centrepeices & Doilies (1915), and Armenian Lacemaking (1966). I enjoyed browsing through the PDF files while waiting for the printer, have sticky notes all over the front pages with things that I'd like to try. But, I definitely fell in love with a doily that has a "spiderweb" pattern. I don't know why this was named spiderweb, I think it looks more like a flower, maybe a spider mum. Anyway, I started this pattern with the cream thread, and boy do I love it!
To see a picture from the book, go to this site "Priscilla Centrepieces & Doilies", wait impatiently for it to load, and go to page 13, figure 13.
I told you that it was a beauty! I'm also considering figure #36, #43, #44, and #46. OH, I still have to print part 2. Maybe tomorrow if the printers aren't so finicky, I think they must be tired!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home