Jane's Hooked on Crochet

A place to write about my crocheting, things I'm learning, book reviews, ideas, projects in mind, works in progress, patterns, photos, fair entries, whatever...

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Spring

Spring is finally arriving in Central PA. I love this time of year, the colors of the trees and the flowers, the birds chirping and singing. I think my favorite spring sound is the spring peepers, the little frogs that are hatching out in the ponds and in the wetlands. There's a stretch of Boat House Road through Hershey that has a long stretch of wetlands, and the peepers are really loud. I love to roll down the window and listen as I drive home from work.
What does this have to do with crocheting? Well, during the last 2 days, I've done a lot of frogging. You know, when there's a error in your work and you have to pull or rip some of it out, rip it out, rip it,...
I'm working on the 3rd doily of a set from an antique pattern, written in English rather than American terminology, too. See entry of Feb. 10th for a picture of the small doily in blue. I made 2 more small ones in white. They have a circular center, then 8 shells around the center. The larger doily starts the same way, then the next round has 16 shells around the 8. Well, I got the 8 finished, and got to about the 3rd when I realized that something wasn't right, I wasn't going to get 16 around, so I pulled those 3 out. Started the shells again, and got the problem straightened out, got to about the 6th shell, and it's not going to fit where it should. Now, what's wrong? After checking the stitches in this row of shells, and recounting, I check back to the first round of shells, and there is a shell that has only 9 "fans" when it should have 10. Rip out again. About this time, my husband kids me about just starting over. Not such a bad idea, I start over. By this afternoon, I'd finished the center and put on 2 shells in the first round. I desperately needed to look at something else. My fingers were stiff from the thread work and could have used a break, maybe I should work with yarn and work on the afghan. But, no, I pick up the next lesson in the Delta crochet. After pulling out part of round 3 several times, I find the problem and things are starting to move along nicely. But think it's definitely time to put the hooks down and get some sleep. Maybe things will flow better tomorrow.